Dune a new movie based on the legendary story arrives at the cinema at end of this 2021 year. And it is directed by Oscar nominee Denis Villeneuve (“Arrival,” “Blade Runner 2049”), who has a lot of experience with cult SF movies, since he directed the sequel to Blade Runner. And he didn’t ruin it. It is a new interpretation of one of the most popular SF titles of all time based on the story of Frank Herbert.
And now we can see the first shot, that is, the photo of Timothée Chalamet as Paul Atreides. The scene is from the planet Caladan where we see ships taking his family to Arrakis.
Frank Herbert wrote the novel “Dune” in 1965, and he was awarded the Hugo and Nebula Awards for the best SF novel of that year. The plot of the film follows the conflict between two noble families – Atreides and Harkonen – over the planet Arrakis, the only planet in space where a rare and precious spice of melange can be found, a substance that enables long life, interstellar travel, and much more.
After Dune, until the author’s death in 1986, more sequels were published. “Dune Messiah”, “Children of Dune”, “God Emperor of Dune”, “Heretics of Dune” and “House of Dune”
Villeneuve is not the first director to try to tame “Dune”.
Work on the new adaptation, the one that premiered in 2021 at the Venice Film Festival, began in 2016 when the production company Legendary bought the rights to the film and television adaptation of the novel. Denis Villeneuve was entrusted with the project in February 2017, after several months of speculation that he would direct it.
Other roles are played by: Oscar Isaac, Javier Bardem, Zenadaya, Rebecca Ferguson, Josh Brolin, Stellan Skarsgård, Dave Bautista, Chang Chen, Charlotte Rampling a very good team of movie stars.
Dune movie cast and characters
- Timothée Chalamet as Paul Atreides
- Rebecca Ferguson as Lady Jessica Atreides
- Zendaya as Chani
- Oscar Isaac as Duke Leto Atreides
- Jason Momoa as Duncan Idaho
- Stellan Skarsgård as Baron Vladimir Harkonnen
- Stephen McKinley Henderson as Thufir Hawat
- Josh Brolin as Gurney Halleck
- Javier Bardem as Stilgar
- Sharon Duncan-Brewster as Dr. Liet Kynes
- Chang Chen as Dr. Wellington Yueh
- Dave Bautista as Beast Rabban Harkonnen
- David Dastmalchian as Piter de Vries
- Charlotte Rampling as Reverend Mother Mohiam
- Babs Olusanmokun as Jamis
- Benjamin Clémentine as Herald of the Change(as Benjamin Clementine)
- Souad Faress as Bene Gesserit Sister
- Golda Rosheuvel as Shadout Mapes
The original film was directed by David Lynch and was made in 1984.
Rotten Tomatoes, a site that also turns reviews into a single rating, that is, a percentage of “freshness” or “spoilage” (after the tomato model), keeps “Dune” 85 percent “fresh”.
Metacritic, a website for collecting film reviews and turning them into a unique assessment of film quality, “Dune” rated 76 (out of 100) at the time of writing.
Dune Release Date
The premiere of the Dune 2021 movie is scheduled for October 22 this year.